Best Shampoos for Thinning Hair: Nizoral Leads, Generic Ketoconazole Close Behind

In short: Nizoral was the most-used shampoo for thinning hair, with generic ketoconazole a close second. Plan for some dryness.
The McRoy Take
If you're looking for a starting point, most people reach for Nizoral because it calms an itchy, flaky scalp and feels noticeably cleaner after a couple of uses. If you'd rather not pay for the brand, a generic ketoconazole shampoo is a close second (1% is sold over the counter in many countries; 2% usually needs a prescription). Either way, plan for some dryness, especially if you use it more than once or twice a week.
As an Amazon Associate, McRoy earns from qualifying purchases. That never affects the ranking.
Quick guide: start here
- For tender, flaky scalpsNizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- For seborrheic dermatitis or oily scalpsKetoconazole Shampoo (generic)
- For itchy scalps needing a fresh feelNioxin Shampoo
- For damaged or chemically treated hairK18 Shampoo
- For those looking for an amino-acid or glycolic boostL'Oréal Shampoo
-
74% keep using it81 people tried itStrong signal
Most people say Nizoral calms an itchy, flaky scalp and they stick with it, though a few found it irritating.
- Best for
- tender, flaky scalps
- How people use it
- Apply to a dry scalp, leave for about 5 minutes, then rinse; use 1–2 times per week.
- Watch out
- can dry out scalp
What people said (3)
Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“I use Nizoral because it removes DHT, reduces inflammation, and promotes a healthier scalp. It completely resolved the tender scalp issues I was having in less than 2 weeks, and I continue to use it 1-2x a week.”Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“Nizoral twice a week, Pantene Rose Water the other days.”Didn't work for them · r/FemaleHairLoss“To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference since I started using it back in December, but I know hair growth takes a long time.” -
69% keep using it60 people tried itStrong signal
Redditors generally like its scalp-clearing power, but dryness is a recurring issue.
- Best for
- seborrheic dermatitis or oily scalps
- How people use it
- Use the 2% formula once a week (or 2–3 times weekly for severe cases).
- Watch out
- can dry out scalp
What people said (3)
Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“Not the other poster but I also have a tender scalp that is solved by daily washing and Nizoral/ketonzaole. For me it was seborrheic dermatitis, which causes an inflammatory reaction on the scalp to an overgrowth of malassezia yeast (a norm…”Kept using it · r/tressless“I use 2% Ketoconazole once a week, per my Dermatologist. I also use 1% Finasteride and 2.5% Minoxidil daily. I’m seeing great results.”Didn't work for them · r/tressless“I used it 3-4 times a week for severe seb derm and it worked at first but then my scalp dried a lot and made the inflammation and dandruff worse.” -
75% keep using it12 people tried itSolid signal
Most users feel Nioxin helps scalp itch and adds freshness, yet several saw no growth benefit.
- Best for
- itchy scalps needing a fresh feel
- How people use it
- Rotate with other shampoos 1–2 times weekly and follow with a conditioner.
- Watch out
- minimal impact on hair density
What people said (3)
Didn't work for them · r/FemaleHairLoss“I've tried all the Nioxin/hair growth promising kinds but never saw any results.”Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“I'm using 5% minoxidil foam along with alternating Nizoral, Nioxin, and Pura D'or shampoos”Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“Nioxin 6 days a week, Nizoral once.” -
100% keep using it4 people tried itEarly signal
Everyone who tried K18 reports liking its damage-repair feel.
- Best for
- damaged or chemically treated hair
- How people use it
- Use twice a week, often paired with K18 conditioner or as part of a detox routine.
What people said (2)
Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“Nizoral/K18 detox 2x a week”Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“Rotate between: Nizoral, sally beauty version of tea tree shampoo, and clarifying shampoo (I have a few I am using up - Garnier with the aloe on it, ion hard water, & K18 detox ).” -
#5
L'Oréal Shampoo
38McRoy Score75% keep using it4 people tried itEarly signalRedditors are split; some appreciate the amino-acid formula, but a few experienced increased shedding.
- Best for
- those looking for an amino-acid or glycolic boost
- How people use it
- Rotate with Nizoral or other clarifying shampoos; can be used daily.
- Watch out
- may cause clumping shedding for some
What people said (3)
Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“I also use the L'Oreal Aminexil containing shampoos as they are supposed to help with excessive shedding.”Kept using it · r/FemaleHairLoss“I rotate between Nizoral, Dove Intense Repair, and L’Oréal Clarfiying shampoos.”Didn't work for them · r/FemaleHairLoss“Nizoral and nioxin! Was using L’Oréal and it made my hair fall out in clumps 😀”
How we rank
We only count people who say they actually used a product, one vote per person. "Keep using it" is the share of them who stuck with it rather than quitting. The McRoy Score combines how many people recommend a product (75%) with that keep-using rate (25%). Products need at least a few real users to be ranked; ones with fewer reviews are left out rather than guessed. Full methodYour turn
Tried one of these, or something that isn't here? Tell us how it went in the comments. Real experiences go into the next update.As an Amazon Associate, McRoy earns from qualifying purchases: if you buy through a link, McRoy may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. It never affects the ranking. See our affiliate disclosure. Shampoo supports scalp health; it isn't a hair-loss treatment on its own, so talk to a dermatologist about persistent shedding.
Comments
Post a Comment