Best Adjustable Dumbbells: PowerBlock Is Reddit's Clear Favorite

Best adjustable dumbbells: McRoy ranking with PowerBlock at number one

In short: PowerBlock was the clear favorite: more than twice as many owners talked about it as any other brand, and 89% kept using theirs.

The McRoy Take

If you want one set that lasts, get PowerBlock: more than twice as many owners talked about it as any other brand, and many have used theirs for 10 to 15 years. The usual complaint is chipping paint, not broken parts. If you'd rather have something that looks and feels like a normal dumbbell, every NÜOBELL and Ironmaster owner with a clear opinion was happy, though far fewer people own them. Bowflex SelectTech is quick to adjust but drew the most complaints: bulky, breakable if dropped, and a recall that annoyed several owners.

Based on 1.6K Reddit comments in 80 threads from the last 12 months (r/homegym, r/workout, r/GYM). Updated Oct 2026. How we rank

As an Amazon Associate, McRoy earns from qualifying purchases. That never affects the ranking.

Quick guide: start here

  1. 89% keep using it82 people tried itStrong signal

    Owners keep them for a decade or more. The main complaints are chipping paint and the odd cracked selector, not mechanical failures.

    Best for
    small spaces and heavy weights (90 lb+ with expansion kits)
    How people use it
    Watch Woot for discounted sets; PowerBlock sends free replacement stickers if you email them
    Watch out
    paint can chip or flake
    What people said (3)
    Didn't work for them · r/homegym“My EXP paint started chipping, but I don’t care because they’re dumbbells.”
    Kept using it · r/xxfitness“I have power blocks that I bought over 15 years ago, still going strong!”
    Kept using it · r/xxfitness“Another vote for the Powerblocks. Expensive, but sometimes you can find manufacturer defects or returns that are like. 30% off. I asked for them for my birthday last summer, 2x50lb in 5lb increments and I haven't outgrown them yet for most…”
  2. #2
    68
    McRoy Score
    83% keep using it33 people tried itStrong signal

    Budget no-name sets (Costco, Amazon, eBay, Alibaba) mostly did the job, but a few owners found them shaky or quick to chip.

    Best for
    tight budgets and light-to-moderate weights
    How people use it
    Give them a quick shake before lifting overhead to check the plates are locked
    Watch out
    bottom-heavy, can feel loose
    What people said (3)
    Kept using it · r/xxfitness“I have the adjustable set that was popular at Costco during the pandemic.”
    Kept using it · r/homegym“I can add to this, bought my adjustable dumbbells on aliababa (cheaper model than OP), they go up to 40kg per dumbbell and I asked for custom color. price was good, around 400 $ ish, but it was years ago. And they delivered it directly to…”
    Didn't work for them · r/GYM“I have adjustable ones that I jus picked up and one thing I wish I knew before picking them up was they are bottom heavy so if you go to bench with them and aren’t holding the weight right it’ll try to spin in your hand”
  3. 100% keep using it13 people tried itSolid signal

    All 11 owners with a clear opinion liked them: they look and feel like normal dumbbells and change weight with a twist of the handle.

    Best for
    a normal dumbbell feel at every weight
    Watch out
    expensive
    What people said (2)
    Kept using it · r/homegym“These look extremely similar to my $900 SMRTFT Nüobells!!! 😅💸💸”
    Kept using it · r/workout“I have a set of nuobells that go from 2 to 32 kgs in 2kg increments. Love them!!! Pros: they take up minimal space. They look and feel like normal dumbbells at any step in their range. It’s a very simple wrist turn and click to change th…”
  4. #4
    53
    McRoy Score
    74% keep using it23 people tried itSolid signal

    Fast to adjust, and plenty of sets last 5 to 12 years, but they're long and clunky at light weights and the plastic parts can break if dropped.

    Best for
    quick weight changes between sets
    How people use it
    Never drop them; a dropped dumbbell is how most owners broke a part
    Watch out
    bulky; owners unhappy with the recall
    What people said (3)
    Kept using it · r/homegym“I do like the bowflex 1090s, my only gripe being that they are a a few inches longer than a standard dumbbell which makes some movements a little awkward”
    Kept using it · r/xxfitness“I scored a NICE Bowflex adjustable set. Each one goes up to 52.8 lbs.”
    Didn't work for them · r/workout“I have the bowflex ones. They're...just ok. I can't say I recommend them. They work well enough but do sometimes get stuck in their cradles and are unBELIEVABLY uncomfortable to rest on their end on your knee to kick back for chest press…”
  5. #5

    Ironmaster

    52
    McRoy Score
    100% keep using it10 people tried itSolid signal

    All 8 owners with a clear opinion rate them highly for build quality and add-ons, even though changing weight is slower.

    Best for
    heavy lifting and adding accessories later
    Watch out
    slower to change weight
    What people said (2)
    Kept using it · r/workout“I'm a big fan of my Ironmasters. They're great dumbbells on their own that go up to 75 lbs each, plus there's a ton of other stuff you can add on down the track to adjust to changes in your training: * Heavy handles that bolt on turn the…”
    Kept using it · r/homegym“Hahah not the safest but good on you for coming up with an idea to keep progressing. If you got the funds I'd check out the ironmaster Dumbbells. That's the ones i been using for over a decade now with the expansion kit. Theres a couple oth…”

How we rank

We only count people who say they actually used a product, one vote per person. "Keep using it" is the share of them who stuck with it rather than quitting. The McRoy Score combines how many people recommend a product (75%) with that keep-using rate (25%). Products need at least a few real users to be ranked; ones with fewer reviews are left out rather than guessed. Full method

Your turn

Tried one of these, or something that isn't here? Tell us how it went in the comments. Real experiences go into the next update.

As an Amazon Associate, McRoy earns from qualifying purchases: if you buy through a link, McRoy may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. It never affects the ranking. See our affiliate disclosure. Check the locking mechanism before every heavy or overhead set, and never drop adjustable dumbbells; most breakages owners reported came from drops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Hair Growth Oils for Thicker, Healthier looking Hair

Best 3 Hair Serum For Hair Growth | Ranking top hair serum 2026